Careers and Transition
Lexden Springs School has a Careers Lead (Emily) and a Job mentor (Nikki) who facilitates the work experience. The school has very recently been successful in gaining the Quality in Careers Award for excellent careers provision of Careers education, information, advice, and guidance.
All parents and young people can receive impartial and independent support from the Information Advice and Guidance Advisor with the Children and Young People with Disabilities Service.
Lexden Springs School offers a wide variety of personalised work and transition experiences both on and off-site based on the individual needs and interests of the student. Students have work placements with a wide variety of employers, both local and national companies. These include: Sainsburys, Boots, Barnardos, Emmaus, Level Best Art café, Yarra Farm, Waitrose, Kent & Blaxhill, Co-op Fiveways
We continue to look for further employers to work with us as partners in increasing the employment opportunities our students have.
We work with our students at these placements and through the Careers curriculum to help our students gain the qualities and skills that employers are looking for in their employees. Our students all work exceptionally hard at their placements and a high percentage demonstrate admirable work skills. All staff are expected to contribute to CEIAG delivery through their roles as teachers and support staff.
Lexden Springs Futures
‘Help us achieve our dreams of paid work’
- People with a learning disability can make great employees!
- Lower sickness levels and stay in jobs longer
- Can increase staff team morale
- 77% of the public think more highly of companies that make an extra effort to employ people with a disability
Our students have taken part in work experience involving:
- Stocking & fronting shelves
- Serving customers & waiting on tables
- Small and large animal care
- Assisting with MOT’s
- Washing up, drink & food preparation
- Farm work & office work
They would love to be doing more!
- When our students access work experience as part of their school week they will be fully supported by school staff.
- We liaise with workplaces to ensure they understand our students abilities and needs.
- Meet with a placement to find out what an employer’s expectations of the job role.
- If a work placement or experience goes well and the employer is interested in offering paid work there are specialist organisations that will help support this process.