Lexden Springs School is a research engaged learning community.
We are committed to classroom based action research projects and engagement with learning at every level to raise achievement and improve outcomes. We aim, through research, to become a high performing school dedicated to the implementation of outstanding learning, progress and outcomes.
We are committed to action research projects and as part of this we have formed extensive partnerships with other organizations, schools and universities.
During the academic year 2015-2016 we worked with the National Foundation for Educational Research as an Enquiring school and the conference we held at the end of that year was also a ‘Celebration of Learning’ as we were the first special school to be awarded the NFER research mark. Research and enquiry is embedded in the ongoing life of our school and is an important feature of our school improvement and staff development.
During the academic year 2016-2017 we are working closely with Dr. Paula Bosanquet Head of Subject, Education and Development at the University of East London to give teachers an academic framework around which to develop their small-scale action research projects.
2015-2016 Research Questions
- In what ways does ‘sounds of intent’ impact upon students?
- Will helping our students understand a wider range of emotions have an impact on their behaviour?
- In what ways does children’s ability to communicate with a wider audience impact upon their communication and independence skills?
- How can we help students to recognise and identify their emotions, so that they can self-regulate?
2016-2017 Research Questions
- In what ways does the use of library club impact upon developing boy’s early reading skills?
- How does meeting a child’s sensory needs on a regular basis impact upon their learning?
- What is the impact of Charanga music resource on the vocalisations of three children?
- What are the practical implications of introducing story massage to a PMLD Class?
- How has the introduction of story massage impacted on the social interactions of key children in a PMLD class?
- What is the impact of the creating mental wealth approach having on student’s well-being?